Survey Reveals The Cost of Gaming Over A Lifetime
The Cost of Gaming Over A Lifetime
Do you know how much you spent on your first video game? For some, that answer is easy, but for others who consider themselves heavy gamers that amount may be long forgotten.
The All Home Connections team conducted research on gamers’ spending habits by surveying 1,000 American gamers to determine how much the average gamer spends on gaming in a lifetime compared to streaming, fitness and travel and to learn which generation spends the most.
How much will each generation spend on gaming in a lifetime?
The life expectancy of the average American is 80 years old. We calculated exactly how much each generation of Americans will spend on gaming assuming they begin paying for their own gaming expenses at 16 years old.
Spending vs. Investing Gaming Money By Generation Up To Retirement
The average American retires at age 65. We calculated how much money each generation would make if they invested the amount that they spend gaming each month at a 6% return rate from age 16 to 65.
- The highest percentage of respondents spend between $1 - $30 on gaming each month (22.30%) followed by $121-150 (18.10%).
- By comparison, roughly 1 in 4 respondents said they spend only $20 - $35 on health and fitness (including gym memberships) each month. The second highest percentage of respondents (21%) don’t spend any money on health and fitness.
- The average gamer spends around $76 each month on gaming. That includes internet, in-app purchases, new games, and gaming equipment, amounting to roughly $1,000 a year and over $58,000 over the course of a lifetime.
- By comparison, recent data shows that the average U.S. household spends $564 per year on streaming service subscriptions – nearly half of what gamers spend on gaming.
- Millennials spend the most on gaming, with 41.62% of millennial respondents saying they spend between $91 - $150 on gaming each month.
- Male gamers spend only slightly more than female gamers per month, with 40% of male gamers spending $91 - $150 for an average of $85/month compared to 42% of female gamers spending between $1 - $60 for an average of $69/month
- Gamers spend 20% more on video games yearly than they do travel.
- Gamers spend the most on buying new games (19.50% of respondents), and in-app purchases (19% of respondents).